A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Sunday, October 19, 2008

A time to render

There are important words in today’s readings as the citizens of the United States prepare to elect a new President and to elect or reelect many legislators and other officeholders.

The Gospel (Matthew 22:15-21) contains our Lord’s famous saying:

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's,
and unto God the things that are God's.


In a democracy, “Caesar” is a popularly elected government and citizens therefore owe “Caesar” more than just taxes: citizens must render “Caesar” their opinions and their votes, carefully and prayerfully considered.

The first reading (Isaiah 45:1, 4-6) addresses a famous pagan emperor:

I am the LORD and there is no other,
there is no God besides me.
It is I who arm you, though you know me not,
so that toward the rising and the setting of the sun
people may know that there is none besides me.
I am the LORD, there is no other.


Although we must do everything we lawfully can to elect the best people, the people who are elected will always be imperfect.

We must therefore also pray that whoever is elected, the will of God be done, whether the people or the leaders know it or not.