A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, June 06, 2008

Seeking refuge in the power of God's Word

The words of today’s first reading (2 Timothy 3:10-17), written a little less than two thousand years ago are ominious, yet today’s first reading also has powerful words of hope.

In fact, all who want to live religiously in Christ Jesus
will be persecuted.

But wicked people and charlatans
will go from bad to worse,
deceivers and deceived.

But you,
remain faithful to what you have learned and believed,
because you know from whom you learned it,
and that from infancy
you have known the sacred Scriptures,
which are capable of giving you wisdom for salvation
through faith in Christ Jesus.

We have seen the increasing pollution of today’s culture: "wicked people and charlatans", indeed, going "from bad to worse, deceivers and deceived".

We have seen the persecutions against Christians and Christian lifestyles: blatant and violent in some “developing” countries, subtle yet increasingly explicit in many of the most “advanced” countries of the world.

But we also know the unshakeable comfort and power in God’s word through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Whenever we are afraid or in trouble, may we embrace and cherish the word of the Lord, repeating what is said in today’s Psalm (including the omitted verses - 119:157-168):

Though my persecutors and foes are many
I do not turn from your decrees.

I view the faithless with loathing,
because they do not heed your promise.

See how I love your precepts, LORD;
in your kindness give me life.

Your every word is enduring;
all your just edicts are forever.

Princes persecute me without reason,
but my heart reveres only your word.

I rejoice at your promise,
as one who has found rich spoil.

Falsehood I hate and abhor;
your teaching I love.

Seven times a day I praise you
because your edicts are just.

Lovers of your teaching have much peace;
for them there is no stumbling block.

I look for your salvation, LORD,
and I fulfill your commands.

I observe your decrees;
I love them very much.

I observe your precepts and decrees;
all my ways are before you.

Lord Jesus Christ, son of the living God, be merciful to me – a sinner.