A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Sunday, June 29, 2008

How will ours end?

Today is the beginning of the Pauline year: a year declared by Pope Benedict in commemoration of Saint Paul the Apostle.

Today’s second reading (2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17-18) present us with the ending of Saint Paul’s life as he himself contemplates it and as he reflects on the life of ministry that he has lived.

The ending of our own lives – yours and mine – may or may not be near.

How would we sum up our lives if, God forbid, they should end right now?

May our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ give us the grace to take the opportunity of this day and this year to make the changes that need to be made in our lives, fulfilling our responsibilities and our vocations, so that when the Lord calls us home we may be able to look back on our lives as Saint Paul did.

I am already being poured out like a libation,
and the time of my departure is at hand.

I have competed well;
I have finished the race;
I have kept the faith.

From now on
the crown of righteousness awaits me,
which the Lord, the just judge,
will award to me on that day,
and not only to me,
but to all who have longed for his appearance.

The Lord stood by me
and gave me strength,
so that through me
the proclamation might be completed
and all the Gentiles might hear it.

And I was rescued from the lion’s mouth.

The Lord will rescue me from every evil threat
and will bring me safe to his heavenly Kingdom.

To him be glory forever and ever.
Amen.