A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

You cannot follow me now

The disciples follow Christ. That is what it means to be a disciple.

In today’s Gospel (John 13:21-33, 36-38), Christ tells his disciples, “You cannot follow me now...

In that specific situation, our Lord is primarily speaking of his suffering and death, which he is about to undergo and which we celebrate in a very special way this week.

Most of them indeed would suffer and die as the Lord did, but the Lord was not calling them to that – not at that time.

Where I am going,
you cannot follow me now,
though you will follow later.


Our Lord’s words should serve as a reminder to us as well that we are called to follow him, not necessarily in accordance with our personal preferences, but in the path that he specially marks out for each of us – not according to our own schedule, convenience, or “feeling it is the right time” but according to his will, his plan, and his call.

Guide me, Lord Jesus, and strengthen me in the path you bid me to follow.