A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A slave to sin

He is rich.

He is powerful.

He is a slave.

"Amen, amen, I say to you,
everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin."


Thus says the Lord in today’s Gospel (John 8:31-42).

The slavery of sin has been on full display in the last day or two as the news has been focusing on the revelation that a rich and powerful politician has been sinning with very expensive prostitutes.

It seems likely that, for all his money and power, this man’s slavery to this sin will destroy his political life and much more.

It is certain that, no matter who we are, slavery to sin – whatever our sins may be – will destroy us forever.

Christ gives us an alternative.

May you and I let ourselves- our minds, our hearts, and our lives - be filled with the truth of Christ.

If you remain in my word,
you will truly be my disciples,
and you will know the truth,
and the truth will set you free.