A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Saturday, February 23, 2008

I no longer deserve

I have sinned against heaven....

I no longer deserve to be called your son.

So say I to God.

So says the prodigal son in today’s Gospel (Luke 15:1-3, 11-32).

And what was the father’s response?

And what will God’s response be? How will God, the father of mercies who gave the world Jesus Christ to be our Lord and Savior, respond to us who come repentant and contrite?

While he was still a long way off,
his father caught sight of him,
and was filled with compassion.
He ran to his son,
embraced him
and kissed him.

Lord Jesus Christ, son of the living God, be merciful to me – a sinner.