A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Amazing change in Iraq

Today’s readings (Jonah 3:1-10 and Luke 11:29-32) both focus on the familiar account of Jonah and the conversion of the people of Nineveh (one of the greatest capital cities of the ancient world, now in present day Iraq).

It is familiar and nonetheless quite amazing: a dramatization of the power of repentance.

Sometimes you and I can get in situations that we know are immoral, but we cannot see any way out of it.

Today’s readings remind us that repentance is always possible, even when it may seem impossible, that the power of God’s grace can overcome anything.

Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion
wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.