A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Monday, January 14, 2008

Discernment

"'Be prepared to put your life on the line in order to enlighten the world with the truth of Christ; to respond with love to hatred and disregard for life; to proclaim the hope of the risen Christ in every corner of the earth.'
- Pope Benedict XVI
Message for World Youth Day 2008




"What is God's Will for Your Life?

"The process you will follow to answer this fundamental question is called discernment.

"Your vocation as a Christian will be the particular way you live the universal call to holiness.

"Through prayer, study, conversation with others and reflection, you will be able to discover God's plan for you.... What will be your path to Heaven?

The Importance of Prayer

"Most important in discerning God's will is setting aside time daily to talk with God and to listen in silence. Simple prayer is sufficient.

"Following are three steps for seeking to know God's will:

  • "'Here I am Lord. Whatever you want me to do, I will do it. You gave me life; the least I can do is give my life back to you, to do with me what you know will make me most happy and fulfilled.'


  • "'What do you want me to do? Lord, please give me the wisdom to know what you are calling me to be, and the courage to follow whatever you ask.' I trust that God wishes to reveal himself to me, even more than I desire to know His will.


  • "'After taking the previous two steps, I can imagine myself in the seminary, or in a religious community. If I feel a deep and lasting peace with these thoughts and imaginings (recognizing the challenges that come with any state in life), then I should go ahead and give it a try.'"



(from the Vocations website of the Archdiocese of Saint Louis)



Happy National Vocations Awareness Week!