A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

In the hand of God

The first readings this week come from the Book of Wisdom and today we come to a passage (Wisdom 2:23-3:9) that is read at many funerals.

I have been at many funerals in my life and I have heard this passage many times, but it has never grown old in my hearing: I am still struck afresh by how wonderfully it describes the comforting love of God in the hour of death.

The souls of the just are in the hand of God...

Earlier this month we celebrated the Commemoration of All Souls, but traditionally the prayerful remembrance of our deceased loved ones continues in a special way throughout this month.

By such prayerful remembrance, we place our loved ones in the hands of God – not that we can put them in God’s hands by our own power, but that by our prayers we unite ourselves with the almighty and all-loving will of God who holds his faithful ones gently in his hand.

Today’s first reading reminds us of this.

Today’s first reading should also remind us that we too are in the hand of God.

May we live faithfully in those mighty and loving hands.