A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, September 28, 2007

Rebuilding the wreck

Standing in the midst of massive ruins, with no resources or even a clear plan for rebuilding.

That is the image that comes to mind with today’s first reading (Haggai 2:1-9) as the people look upon what they had heard was once the glorious Temple of the Lord.

Who is left among you
that saw this house in its former glory?
And how do you see it now?
Does it not seem like nothing in your eyes?

The Lord’s words of encouragement are powerful indeed.

Take courage, all you people of the land,
says the LORD,
and work!

For I am with you,
says the LORD of hosts.

This is the pact that I made with you
when you came out of Egypt,
And my spirit continues in your midst;
do not fear!


The Lord also promises superabundant resources, to be supplied from the universe in all its parts, as we hear in the next two verses (familiar to many as being used in Handel’s Messiah):

For thus says the LORD of hosts:
One moment yet, a little while,
and I will shake
the heavens and the earth,
the sea and the dry land.
I will shake all the nations,
and the treasures of all the nations will come in


Just as the Temple of the Lord in ancient Jerusalem was wrecked, so too may the Temple of the Lord which is our spiritual life feel like a dusty pile of old glories now broken.

But the Lord extends the same promise to us, that he is with us: to give us everything we need to rebuild our spiritual lives and give glorious worship to the Lord.

Take courage, all you people of the land,
says the LORD,
and work!

For I am with you,
says the LORD of hosts.

This is the pact that I made with you
when you came out of Egypt,
And my spirit continues in your midst;
do not fear!