A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Cheerful, discrete, and generous

Generosity is a key theme in today’s readings, but for the Christian it is to be much more that a voluntary redistribution of wealth.

St. Paul (2 Corinthians 9:6-11) reminds us that a Christian’s generosity must be “without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”

In the Gospel (Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18), our Lord reminds his followers

When you give alms,
do not let your left hand know what your right is doing,
so that your almsgiving may be secret.
And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

These qualities are important for us to keep in mind not just in our explicit philanthropy, but in all the actions and decisions of our day.

Am I being generous?

When I am generous, am I resentful or stoic, or am I joyful?

Is my focus on the glory of God rather than the praise of men?

May we always be generous, discrete, and cheerful.

God is able to make every grace abundant for you,
so that in all things, always having all you need,
you may have an abundance for every good work.