A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

What was that all about?

Sometimes things happen in our lives and it is only later that we understand their importance.

It is even more that way with the things of God, most especially with the life, death and resurrection of Christ.

But Christ does not leave us to figure this out on our own, as we hear in today’s Gospel (John 16:5-11).

I tell you the truth,
it is better for you that I go.

For if I do not go,
the Advocate will not come to you.

But if I go,
I will send him to you.

And when he comes
he will convict the world
in regard to sin
and righteousness
and condemnation:

sin,
because they do not believe in me;

righteousness,
because I am going to the Father
and you will no longer see me;

condemnation,
because the ruler of this world has been condemned

Indeed, it is only with the help of the Holy Spirit that we understand anything of who Christ really is.

It is only with the help of the Holy Spirit, which reaches out to all people, that we understand the grievousness of refusing to believe in Christ.

It is the Holy Spirit that vindicates the righteousness of the Crucified Lord and helps us to reflect that righteousness even when he is no longer here on earth.

It is the Holy Spirit that makes it clear that, although sin and evil may still be prevalent in this world, the victory of Christ over sin and death has already been accomplished.

The Holy Spirit teaches us what Christ is all about and empowers us to reflect that reality in our lives.

May this same Holy Spirit fill our hearts with the full and fiery conviction of faith and help us to live the truth of Christ with words of bold truth and deeds of deep charity.