A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Father and the Son

In today’s Gospel (John 10:22-30), people demand a simple answer to the question that has long been burning in their minds and hearts.

How long are you going to keep us in suspense?
If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.


Our Lord answers with perhaps just a touch of exasperation himself.

I told you and you do not believe.

Our Lord then continues with his answer, simply yet poetically.

The works I do in my Father’s name
testify to me.
But you do not believe,
because you are not among my sheep.
My sheep hear my voice;
I know them, and they follow me.
I give them eternal life,
and they shall never perish.
No one can take them out of my hand.
My Father, who has given them to me,
is greater than all,
and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.

One can easily imagine that some of those listening were still not “getting it.” Our Lord then summarizes everything in one sentence that is truly simple, perfectly clear, and infinitely profound:

The Father and I are one.

BAM! Now they get it. In fact, in the passage right after this, the people prepare to stone our Lord for what they think is blasphemy.

But what our Lord says is true. Not only would he evade this impromptu stoning, but this simple statement would become the foundation of the faith of billions.

The Father and I are one.

With this simple statement, our Lord is giving us just a glimpse into the inner life of God himself: the Trinity.

It is an awesome yet tantalizing glimpse. The Church has been reflecting upon it for centuries. How much more wonderful it will be when, God willing, we behold God face to face and swim eternally in the beatific vision that awaits!

For the present, we carry with us the comfort of that glimpse, remembering especially that in the inner life of God himself he holds us in his hand and close to his heart.

I give them eternal life,
and they shall never perish.

No one can take them out of my hand.

My Father,
who has given them to me,
is greater than all,
and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.

The Father and I are one.