A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Monday, January 15, 2007

I am not perfect

One of the occupational hazards that comes with sharing one's faith publicly and regularly is the implication that the faith-sharer has already attained either perfection or at least a level of moral and spiritual greatness far above the average human being.

That's not me, dude.

I am just another person on the road: not as far up the road as some and stumbling often as I go, yet with my eyes continually drawn to the destination toward which you and I are traveling and, by the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, someday will attain.

No, I am not as far on that path as many and yet I cannot help but speak to others on the road of the great goodness and perfection to which we are all called in Christ Jesus - for that is what Christ bids us to do.

I was reminded painfully of this reality by the words of today's first reading (Hebrews 5:1-10):

He is able to deal patiently with the ignorant and erring,
for he himself is beset by weakness...

One of the great challenges in speaking about moral and spiritual matters is balancing clarity and patience.

Some people "deal patiently with the ignorant and erring" by essentially acquiescing to ignorance and error, leaving them guideless in the wilderness.

Others emphasize clarity and purity of teaching but have no patience for ignorance and error (often making the error of ignoring their own weaknesses).

We are not perfect. We suffer, we stumble, and we fail.

But with us on the road is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who is patient and forgiving and yet who clearly shows us the way of truth and life.

With us on the road is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who suffered and who physically stumbled, taking upon himself the sins of the world in order to become "the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him."

No matter what happens, to me or to you, may we never let go of Christ who saves us and loves us, may we never despair of the perfection to which his grace can bring us, and may we never tire of encouraging each other on the road with clear and patient words of truth and hope.