A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, November 24, 2006

The words of the Lord

Both of today's readings describe the attractiveness of the words of the Lord.

"All the people were hanging on his words," says the last verse of the Gospel (Luke 19:45-48).

The first reading (Revelation 10:8-11) uses a complex, colorful metaphor (no surprise):

I took the small scroll from the angel’s hand
and swallowed it.
In my mouth it was like sweet honey,
but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour
.

To extend this metaphor further: sweet or sour, comforting or challenging, the word of the Lord always nourishes the soul.

Today's readings are an invitation for us to spend more time to read the word of the Lord more often.

The law of your mouth is to me more precious
than thousands of gold and silver pieces....

How sweet to my palate are your promises,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!