A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Do not lose me

Stepping into utter oblivion.

Passing into the irrevocable unknown.

Slipping into the darkness of forever.

That is the human view of death.

Quite often, we try not to think about it: we try to distract ourselves, one way or another.

All Souls Day reminds us: someday, perhaps soon, you and I are going to be dead - just like those people who were once part of our lives and then were suddenly swallowed up by the abyss of death.

All Souls Day also reminds us of this core tenet of our faith: that Christ came to conquer death for our sake.

The words of the Dies Irae come to mind:

"Recordare Jesu pie,
quod sum causa tuae viae:
ne me perdas illa die."


"Remember, O dear Jesus,
That I am the cause of your journey:
Do not lose me on that day. "

And our Lord Jesus gives us his answer in one of the Gospels available for use at Masses today (John 6:37-40):

Haec est autem voluntas eius qui misit me Patris
ut omne quod dedit mihi
non perdam ex eo
sed resuscitem illum novissimo die

And this is the will of him who sent me, of the Father:
that of all that he has given me,
I should not lose one from among them;
but should raise that one up on the last day.

By the grace of the Holy Spirit and the love of our heavenly Father, in our humble but heartfelt prayers, we faithfully place ourselves and everyone we have ever loved into the hands of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

He will not lose us.