A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Saturday, November 11, 2006

All things through him

The world is a terribly uncertain place and sometimes it seems impossible to prepare for, let alone endure, the unpredictable ups and downs that life throws at us.

In today's first reading (Philippians 4:10-19), St. Paul reveals his experience of life's challenging ups and downs as well as the secret of his success.

I know indeed how to live in humble circumstances;
I know also how to live with abundance.

In every circumstance and in all things
I have learned the secret of being well fed
and of going hungry,
of living in abundance
and of being in need.

I have the strength for everything
through him who empowers me.

The one who empowers St. Paul, of course, is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ: the same Lord who can and will empower us in all of our successes and all of our challenges - if only we remain rooted in him.