A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Risk your talents for Christ

The Parable of the Talents in today's Gospel (Matthew 25:14-30) is very familiar, but always worth reconsidering.

Quite fittingly, the word "talent" is no longer used as a very high denomination of currency, but rather is used to mean the aptitudes and capabilities that a person has.

God has given each of us talents, each in different measure but each with responsibility.

Do we use our talents?

Do we use what we have been given
to fulfill our responsibilities,
to help others,
and to give glory to God?

Or do we fearfully bury our talents,
as few or as many as they may be?

What will God say to us?

Will the Lord say this?

Well done, my good and faithful servant.
Since you were faithful in small matters,
I will give you great responsibilities.
Come, share your master's joy.

Or will we face the bitter disappointment of God?

You wicked, lazy servant!
So you knew that I harvest where I did not plant
and gather where I did not scatter?

….throw this useless servant into the darkness outside,
where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.

May you and I never bury our talents.

May you and I put our talents forward with trust in the mercy of the Lord.