A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Support

Woe to me, mother, that you gave me birth!

So begins today's first reading (Jeremiah 15:10, 16-21).

This, of course, is not just a foreshadowing of "wrongful birth torts" - the bizarre invention of delusional litigators.

Jeremiah's cry has been echoed down the millennia by many who have struggled with depression or with some overwhelming personal tragedy.

Indeed, Scripture is more than just a collection of comforting verses or eternal truths (although these things are there).

In some ways, Scripture is like the greatest "support group" of all time: a place where people can find resonance and healing for their deepest feelings, even the most painful ones, through the word and the grace of God.

But I shall sing of your strength,
extol your love at dawn,
For you are my fortress,
my refuge in time of trouble.

My strength, your praise I will sing;
you, God, are my fortress,
my loving God.