A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, June 23, 2006

What wondrous love

It's all about love: today's celebration - the Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus - and the readings made available for this day.

The first reading (from Hosea 11) beautifully expresses God's parental love:

When Israel was a child I loved him,
out of Egypt I called my son.
Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
who took them in my arms;
I drew them with human cords,
with bands of love;
I fostered them like one
who raises an infant to his cheeks;
Yet, though I stooped to feed my child,
they did not know that I was their healer.

My heart is overwhelmed,
my pity is stirred.

In the second reading (from Ephesians 3) shares with us this rapturous prayer:

...that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;
that you, rooted and grounded in love,
may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones
what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge,
so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.


And then in the Gospel (John 19:31-37),
we see this love in its infinite perfection,
as the Sacred Heart of Jesus
is literally opened up for us
in the ultimate act of God's love for us,
for you and for me.

What wondrous love is this.

Have we really and fully opened ourselves to that love?

Do we really and fully let that love flow through us to the people around us?

...look upon him whom they have pierced.

Love one another as I have loved you, says the Lord.
(John 13:34)