A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, May 19, 2006

A lovely life

She and her husband worked for the same place.

They volunteered at their church.

They had a nice house in the country and two beautiful children: a girl and a boy, ages 7 and 4.

One day, she was in the parking lot at work and saw a coworker who looked like he needed a hand.

She didn't think twice.

Detective Vicky O. Armel, 40, drew her service weapon to shoot at the man who was spraying her fellow officer's car with automatic rifle fire.

The gunman shot her dead.

This happened in Fairfax county, Virginia, a little less than two weeks ago.

No one has greater love than this,
to lay down one's life for one's friends.


How strongly these words from today's Gospel (John 15:12-17) resonate.

How strongly these words challenge us.

Would I step into gunfire to save another person? Would you?

Would I give up nice things I enjoy in this world to live more fully the life I know is right? Would you?

Why don't I?

Dearest Lord Jesus, deepen my love.

(The officer in the car, Michael E. Garbarino, 53, died early Tuesday morning from his injuries. The gunman, a mentally disturbed teenager, died at the scene. Requiescant in pace.)