A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, April 28, 2006

Fighting against God

The words of Gamaliel in today's first reading (Acts 5:34-42) are words of warning not only to the Sanhedrin, but to us as well – whenever our focus is on what WE want to do.

You may even find yourselves fighting against God.

We may be fighting not simply against God’s will or God’s power, but most tragically against that fundamental desire for God himself that lies deep in the soul of every human person.

May we heed the words of Gamaliel and echo the heartfelt prayer of the Psalmist (27:4):

One thing I ask of the LORD
this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD...