A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Get wet

Perhaps now, part way through its first full week, we may have already fallen off the track of what we had planned to do or to give up for Lent.

Or perhaps Lent does not mean anything to us, but there is a dryness in our lives and in our souls that we feel and that does not seem ever to go away.

Today’s first reading (Isaiah 55:10-11) gives an answer:

For as the rain cometh down,
and the snow from heaven,
and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth,
and maketh it bring forth and bud,
that it may give seed to the sower,
and bread to the eater:

So shall my word be
that goeth forth out of my mouth:
it shall not return unto me void,
but it shall accomplish that which I please,
and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

This passage invites us to “get wet” with the Word of God: to let it soak into us, where it will bear much fruit. We need to take more time to read it, to speak it aloud, and to meditate upon it.

It is a good thing to do during Lent and a very good thing to do in any spiritual desert.