A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, February 09, 2006

What I did for "love"

I was the smartest man in the world.

I was rich, famous, and powerful.

I wasn’t bad looking.

But that wasn’t enough.

I went all the way and much, much further.

Women literally flocked to me.

And I did anything they wanted.

Anything.

Suddenly, I had found that I had turned my back on everything that I had once stood for.

I had trashed all the things that had been the most important and most precious in my life.

Now I was old and my riches and power had been taken away from me.

But that wasn’t the worst.

I learned how terrible, how bitter, how devastating it was
to break the heart of God.

(cf today’s first reading: 1 Kings 11:4-13)