A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Ask for wisdom

In today’s first reading (1 Kings 3:4-13), Solomon asks God for wisdom.

As I noted last year (in a post from which this one is adapted), Solomon's request here is echoed in a glorious passage from the book of Wisdom (9:1-5):

O God of my fathers, and Lord of mercy,
who hast made all things with thy word,
And ordained man through thy wisdom,
that he should have dominion
over the creatures which thou hast made,
And order the world
according to equity and righteousness,
and execute judgment with an upright heart:

Give me wisdom, that sitteth by thy throne;
and reject me not from among thy children:
For I thy servant and son of thine handmaid
am a feeble person,
and of a short time, and too young
for the understanding of judgment and laws.

You and I may not have the same responsibilities as a king, but we should find great resonance with Solomon here, for we too have responsibilities – regarding our families, our communities, and even our world – and often we too feel inadequate to the challenges that face us (I know I do).

We too therefore would do well always to repeat Solomon’s prayer:

Give your servant, therefore, an understanding heart....

Give me wisdom....

And then may God say also to us,

"Because you have asked for this--
not for a long life for yourself,
nor for riches,
nor for the life of your enemies,
but for understanding

so that you may know what is right--
I do as you requested.”

It might be nice to have a long life, immense riches, and a world free of enemies, but wisdom – true wisdom, God’s wisdom – can give us more of what we really need than any amount of time, any amount of money, or any number of friends.

With thee is wisdom, who knows thy works
and was present when thou didst make the world,
and who understand what is pleasing in thy sight
and what is right according to thy commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
and from the throne of thy glory send her,
that she may be with me and toil,
and that I may learn what is pleasing to thee.

For she knows and understands all things,
and she will guide me wisely in my actions
and guard me with her glory.

(Wisdom 9:9-11)

Ask for wisdom.