A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, January 27, 2006

"Because I could"

He was the nation’s leader and when he saw a particular woman he thought attractive, he had her brought in and he bedded her.

Then followed the cover-up, the abuse of power, and the death of a loyal soldier.

Why would he do it?

The most obvious answer to the scandal in today’s first reading (from 2 Samuel 11) can be found in another national leader's explanation of his own sex scandal thousands of years later:

“I think I did something for the worst possible reason -- just because I could.”

You and I are likely never to be as famous and powerful as Bill Clinton or King David, but we are certainly subject to the same basic temptation: to realize that we can do something and can probably get away with it.

Of course, we can never “get away with it” – for all sin is an offense against God, who sees everything.

Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion

wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.