A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Doom of the daunted

In today’s first reading (from Numbers 13), the Lord has brought the Children of Israel to the Promised Land, but they are afraid to go forward. They tremble, cry, and complain.

What follows are the inevitable consequences of their wallowing in fear.

By my life, says the LORD,
I will do to you just what I have heard you say.
Here in the desert shall your dead bodies fall.


This is in stark contrast to the woman in today’s Gospel (Mt. 15:21-28) who is not daunted in the slightest by what seems like an insulting rebuke.

May you and I never be daunted in following the Lord and in doing what is right.