A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, June 16, 2005

"We've grown up seeing so many things go wrong"

"Marriages break up, people leave the priesthood and religious life, people changing their jobs every few years, changing where they live, and always looking around for something else.

"Nothing seems to be permanent anymore; nothing is for good or for life, and that goes for causes I might be committed to, or a person I might be committed to.

"But I'm absolutely convinced that most people know deep down they're going to find happiness by committing to someone or to something.

"A big part of the challenge for us as a Catholic community is to draw that out and to really cultivate that in people...."


I love being a priest, and that's the truth of it."

"I want them to know that you can really be happy and do great things as a priest, and at the end of the day the greatest sense that anyone can have is that this is what God wants of me, this is what I'm made for.

"If most of the people I speak to say no to the priesthood or a religious life, but at least have thought about it seriously I'll think I have achieved something.

"At least they'll be more mature, more serious Christians, and hopefully more supportive of those vocations in others."

from an interview with Bishop Anthony Fisher, Auxiliary Bishop and Vocations Director for the Archdiocese of Sydney