A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Truth

A shy, gentle servant was chosen yesterday as Pope: a man deeply concerned with and strongly committed to Truth, the Truth of Christ.

Some people feel threatened by someone strongly committed to the Truth. Some even go as far as to accuse such people of dark motives.

In today's Gospel (John 12:44-50), our Lord speaks beautifully and gently about truth and condemnation, light and eternal life - words for all of us to live by.

I came into the world as light,
so that everyone who believes in me
might not remain in darkness.

And if anyone hears my words
and does not observe them,
I do not condemn him,
for I did not come
to condemn the world
but to save the world.

Whoever rejects me
and does not accept my words
has something to judge him:
the word that I spoke,
it will condemn him on the last day,
because I did not speak on my own,
but the Father who sent me
commanded me what to say and speak.

And I know that his commandment

is eternal life.

So what I say,
I say as the Father told me.

So too should we speak: with love and fidelity, with gentleness and strength, shining with the light of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.