A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Statement on Vocations

"I want to ask you, dear sisters and brothers, to pray for vocations to the priesthood and religious life in a very particular way.

"I am not asking you to pray for vocations in general, for example,

“Dear God, please choose someone, like the person next door.'

"Rather, I am inviting you to pray this way:

'Dear God, if you will, please choose someone from my family – my family – to be a priest, sister or brother. And if you do, I will support that person with my prayers and encouragement.'

"Admittedly, this is a more difficult prayer because it reaches the heart of each family. But it is also a more generous prayer and God responds to generosity!"

Most Reverend Paul S. Loverde, Bishop of Arlington
from the
Vocations website of the Diocese of Arlington