A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, November 18, 2004

A Gentle Blogger passes

Mark Shea reports that blogger Gerard Serafin has died: a very sad loss for many.

According to comments left on Gerard's blog, he died peacefully at his Maryland home around 3:00 this morning (November 18). The Funeral Mass is to be Monday at his parish St. Benedict's in Baltimore.

Gerard had been responsible inter alia for A Catholic Blog for Lovers, a popular list of Catholic blogs at http://praiseofglory.com/blogs.htm, and his parish's website.

Gerard posted the following last Friday

It seems like several regulars of St Blog's are "under the weather" these days. I'm not exactly sure what's going on with me but sense I am not running at my usual and relative "one hundred percent." Some ominous signs (if they continue and get worse). I have a moved up appointment with my wonderful doctor this coming Thursday. I am planning a 2 night trip to Lancaster Pa. with my twin sister Peg and her husband and Father Michael - and seeing some friends, too, 2 sets of which just happen to be in Pennsylvannia Dutch country the same time as I happen to be passing through. And hopefully a few fun meals at places like "Good and Plenty" with its Amish style meals, plentiful indeed!Things have been somewhat out of whack since returning from Paris. Since then something changed. Before that I used to envy those who could fall asleep at their desks and in cars and planes, etc. I couldn't. Now I have a hard time staying awake at my own desk!!! That's no big deal of itself, but combined with some water retention, congestion, and swelling in the akles - a matter of some concern. I don't write this to panic anyone. I am doing OK right now. But I am asking your prayers.

He continued with a few more posts. His last post was Monday, as he was about to leave for Pennsylvania Dutch country, and it ended with the following

And for those concerned about my physical condition lately... I will be seeing my main doctor this Thursday, God willing. Let's hope for the best.
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon him.

May he rest in peace.
Amen

May his soul
and the souls of all the faithful departed
through the mercy of God
rest in peace.
Amen.